Welcome to my blog!

Welcome!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Trail Day One

Back to cell service and civilization. Late yesterday I was excited to walk off Trail 1550 and spot my rental car at the trailhead, realizing I was an hour drive from Leavenworth, a shower, a real meal and a bed. It's been a fun hike in the Cascades, but 5 days/4 nights in some rough and remote areas was taking it's toll and my body was welcoming a full rest day.
First of all I apologize for anyone checking my blog, as I had no cell service since departing Leavenworth on Tuesday am, even on 2 mountain tops. I was able to reassure my family and give myself a sense of security by caring a "SPOT" GPS device and sending out an "I'm OK" message everyone night at campsite.  It also has an SOS message capability which would alert the appropriate rescue organization, should you get into a situation where you couldn't walk out on your own power.  I was mostly in areas where no other hikers were near me, and as one hiker mentioned to me, "You raise the anty a bit when you hike alone."

On top of an area to gain GPS signal. 
On Tuesday, I was hoping to head into The Enchantments, but a fire had prompted partial closure, and as mentioned previously, decided to head up to the Spyder Pass area.  The drive led me northwest out of Leavenworth about one hour, of which the last 1/2 hour was on a not so well maintained dirt road.  Upon finding the trail head area for Trail 1550, there was a branch of the road that headed uphill but was rutted and sandy and required 4 wheel drive, which my rental Ford Focus Hybrid did not appear ready to attack.  The first one hour of my hike was spent just getting up that 2 mile dusty road to the trail head. The trail head, just required signing in with your name, state, destination, and days expected on the trail.  
I felt great getting off the dusty road and getting on the real "Stomp Out" trail.  It remained smoky with no clear sky, but I made good progress in about 7 miles to a beautiful Spyder Meadows campsite. I was lucky to have supper time visitors. I was later told that they're lack of shyness will not serve them well next week, as "high hunting" opens in this area on 9/15.  Good luck fellows!


Trai

No comments: