Welcome to my blog!

Welcome!

Monday, September 4, 2017

Into the Smoke!

Boarded my Sun Country flight to Seattle this morning. The only way to fly, at least when your wife works for the hometown airlines!  Thanks Joy! I was surprised by the amount of packing time it took me to prepare for this backpacking trip.  One complicating factor is carrying all your food and water. I've got freezes dried, as well as useful items such as mashed potatoes and couscous where you just add boiled water: thanks Jetboil, the only way to go. As mentioned previously I'm going in for 2 separate 4 day trips, and have divided my food accordingly. Lots of trail mix, Cliffbars, and Cliffblocks. Some asked what I'm doing for bear protection.  I have spoken to the Rangers in the area, and while lots of bear sightings, no real problems.  I figure Sar went 4 1/2 months on the PCT Trail with only one encounter, so not too worried. Bear canisters or hanging your food is required, I'll go with the canister vs. finding an accommodating tree! Just don't leave your canisters (they're round) near a hill or cliff, as bears have been known to push them around.
Was excited to see the Cascades as our plane got into Eastern Washington, but disappointed to see the smoke flames and smoke from large fires.  One has burned 20,000 acres and 0% contained.  There was a thick haze over Seattle, and smoke smell actually permeated the cabin prior to landing.
Now it's evening and I've arrived this afternoon to Leavenworth.  I picked up 3 PCT trail hikers (Mappy, Happy   And Snappy: all through hikers get trail names) at Stevens Pass and gave them the 30 mile ride into town. They're taking a day to replenish due to the smoke blowing in.
Speaking of smoke, good news and bad news. I happened to be in a hiking supply store in town and 2 Forest Rangers came in with a flyer.  I talked to them and they're closing the Enchantments where iI intended to go in tomorrow.   However, the store employee,the PCT hikers, and the Rangers recommended a trail north of Leavenworth that goes into the Spider Pass and Spider Glacier area, so that's the plan tomorrow.
If you've read this bog so far,thanks for checking it out.  I'm trying to figure out how to post photos from my phone, but not having luck with that yet!

No comments: