Welcome to my blog!

Welcome!

Friday, September 1, 2017

2 Days and Counting!

Friday night before my Monday Labor Day departure to Seattle and then up to the Cascades.  When does the preparation stop and when do I have the time?  Let's see: lightweight tent (thanks Sara! 2 lb Big Agnes tent saves 3 lbs from my REI Half Dome), Sawyer water filter (thanks Eric, last trip I used   Aquamore solution), SPOT GPS location device for safety when hiking alone (thanks Sara, it was nice for us to track your PCT progress 3 years ago: YIKES was it really 3 years ago when I joined you in Yosemite!?), hat, rain gear, gloves (will the temps really be in the high 90's as predicted next week), 2 pairs socks, 1 pair lightweight Altra hiking shoes, dried food, bear canister, my old down sleeping bag, down jacket that's useful as a pillow, hiking poles, Canon M5, Tamron 18-400 ( brand new lens), GoPro (thanks Eric!), extra batteries and cards for each, Osprey lightweight backpack, Jetboil stove, matches, knife, Camelbak water bladder, when do I stop and how do I fit this in my back pack for 7 nights on the trail?   Actually, I'm going in for 2 treks, one four night, resupply (I know, Im not hardcore like those PCT through hikers, but I do have a trail name: Hiker Dad, given to me when I hiked part of the PCT with Sara.  I have called 3 Ranger stations, and have decided to go in west f Leavenworth, and try to get a "lottery permit" for The Enchantments one of the top hikes in Washington, where many lakes are nestled in the Cascade Range.  My second trek will be out of Stevens Pass off of Hwy 2, most likely heading south on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail)
It's 11:30 ... Goodnight!  Wait, I need to do food prep!   So much to do.. Who thought preparing for simple backpacking would be so complicated.  REI, Here I come again.  I forgot to get ....

No comments: