Welcome to my blog!

Welcome!

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Day 3

On the morning of Day 3, I packed up to leave the beautiful Phelps River Basin, but not before taking some more photos. I almost hated to leave after one night but I know more areas awaited my exploration.
Snow almost melted, but in another month or 2 this entire area will most likely be covered in deep snow (Hoping that the NW begins to get precipitation!)

Smoke was still lingering in the air, and usually worsened as the day went on.  I was eating and drinking on the trail as I hiked, but had no appetite at the end of the day to eat a meal the evenings of Day 3 & Day 4.  I surmised later, that it was a combination of the smoke, and not staying well hydrated for the conditions.  You could noticeably see the smoke particles in the air at night when looking around with your headlamp.  
Since I didn't cross Spyder Pass, I trekked back down the trail I came up, and then up the Chiwawa River Trail towards Red Mountain.  This trail ran north to the west of Phelps Ridge, whereas on my first 2 days I traveled up the east side.  

Phelps Ridge , west and east sides

Day 3 night was spent right off the trail, but fortunately near a stream. Streams and lakes are sources of not only drinking water, but water for cooking dehydrated or dried food.  

No comments: